We are heading into the second half of August, and it looks like temperatures will return to "normal" levels next week—a wonderful time for a lovely city tour of the Netherlands, innit?
However, I don't want to annoy you with the usual holiday photos; instead, I decided to write an article that fits my blog and social media.
Vintage und Second Hand.
 |
eye film museum, Amsterdam
|
While Amsterdam is the first stop on our little tour of the Netherlands, the heavy influx of tourists makes it far from my top choice for second-hand shopping.
Therefore, after two days of the usual tourist tour of Amsterdam, we continue by train to Utrecht, the birthplace of Nijntje – or Miffy, the name by which we know the cute little white rabbit here – and there's only one thing I want to say about train travel in the Netherlands:
I have never traveled from A to B so easily, punctually, and comfortably as with the Dutch railway. It really makes it easy to do without a car, which is also supported by the Dutch government.
Long story short, we're in Utrecht!
On the market square in the city center, which takes place three times a week, you'll find one of the two branches of the second-hand shop chain "Rejoes," which operates stores throughout the Netherlands, right on the left-hand side.
In the sales area located in the basement, you will find almost everything your heart desires, at fair prices.
 |
Rejoes Utrecht V 📍Vredenburg 9, 3511 BA Utrecht Netherlands
|
Almost all the second-hand shops I visited stock bags, a wild assortment of eyewear, sometimes shoes, and a corner featuring a curated collection of vintage clothing from various decades. You can easily lose track of time while browsing through the racks.
While I saw customers ranging from 15 to 70 years old in all these second-hand shops, I would still classify Rejoes as catering primarily to younger styles (and those young at heart).
★★★★☆ /★★★★★
 |
Kilo Kilo Curated Store Utrecht 📍Godebaldkwartier 54 3511 DX Utrecht
|
My personal favorite!
Here, unique vintage treasures hang alongside premium brands and stunning styles. From timeless classics to streetwear favorites—featuring brands like Ralph Lauren, True Religion, Levi's, Nike, The North Face, and many more.
I admit I was overwhelmed by the selection. The store really carries almost everything a vintage lover’s heart could desire, and—despite my good intentions to buy less—I ended up giving in to temptation.
I simply had to have this vintage tartan culotte. Unfortunately, the label inside is no longer legible, but its condition suggests it dates back to the 80s. It's missing a button, but that's not going to stop me.
Kilo Kilo merchandise stores (you pay 3.5 cents per gram of clothing) can also be found in all major cities in the Netherlands, and if you don't find anything suitable today, just come back next week, they restock daily.
★★★★★/★★★★★
A top-notch vintage and second-hand shop is also located in the historic alleys of Utrecht's Old Town.
 |
FAIR Priced Vintage 📍 Lijnmarkt 25, 3511 KE Utrecht, NL
|
“Fair Priced Vintage” is a vintage lover’s dream!
It is one of the largest vintage clothing markets in Europe, and the exceptional shop in Utrecht offers a wide range of eco-friendly clothing as well as carefully curated vintage and second hand pieces. The store offers the kind of vintage fashion I love: hand-picked, clean, and ready to wear. The racks seem to be refilled all day long and I enjoyed the lively market vibe, with upbeat music and nice staff.
I don’t mind spending a little more when I find a choice piece that really appeals to me; however, I find that flat-rate pricing based on categories results in some basic items being overpriced compared to conventional second-hand shops.
★★★☆☆ /★★★★★
And before we leave beautiful Utrecht, we’ll make a stop at Vintage Island.🏝️
 |
Vintage Island 📍Zadelstraat 16-18,3511LT Utrecht (NL)
|
You immediately notice that people in the Netherlands love shopping at second-hand stores. All the shops are clean and lovingly decorated, with friendly staff who are happy to help in English. This is certainly true of "Vintage Island" in the town center as well.
Gosh, this shop is so nice, tidy, colorful, and cozy that I would have loved to spend the whole afternoon rummaging through the entire floor—and that’s despite the fact that I usually prefer wearing black. The price-to-quality ratio is spot on, and everyone on this island should be able to find something suitable.
★★★★★/★★★★★
I only ended up in Arnhem because I wanted to take another train ride, admire the architectural wonder of the train station, and spend two quiet days away from the tourist crowds.
 |
Arnhem Central Station
|
And I’m glad I made that choice. Not only did I have a delicious meal at one of the coolest local restaurants—"
Karakter" (provided you think vinyl records sleeves are cool)—but the Arnhem train station is also well worth seeing!
What's more, I had time for a stroll through the city here as well—albeit in the rain.
 |
RESHARE STORE▫️Reshare Arnhem 📍Koningstraat 70 6811 DJ Arnhem, NL
|
I only went into that second-hand shop because it had started raining really hard, and my small pocket umbrella could barely protect me from getting soaked.
That’s how I actually ended up with a stylish dark green raincoat—one that will surely serve me well back home this autumn, too.
Who would have guessed that a second-hand shop in a small town would have something in store for me? The Reshare Store offers practical everyday fashion for men and women at reasonable prices, far removed from the hustle and bustle of the big city.
★★★★★/★★★★★
 |
Rejoes Second Hand 📍Rijnstraat 53, 6811 EX Arnhem Netherlands |
Finally, a quick look at the Rejoes branch in Arnhem. The stadium-style seats provide that signature look, and otherwise, this small-town store is every bit as good as the one in Utrecht. Here, too, there is a vast selection of youth fashion, denim, Adidas, unbranded items, and various accessories.
★★★★★/★★★★★
But I really have everything I need now, and I’m starting to feel worn out. Besides, it’s time for me to pack up and head home.
In conclusion, I can highly recommend the Netherlands as a travel destination.
Cultural diversity, culinary delights on every street corner, open-minded people everywhere, and bicycles, bicycles, bicycles...
Sounds like you had a thoroughly enjoyable trip doing the things you like 🧡
ReplyDelete